Monday, March 15, 2010

NOR'EASTERS

The term is now used by "hip" weathermen as a buzzword for any big rain storm that meanders up the Eastern seaboard and hits the cities where the TV men are. But a real Nor-easter has certain characteristics that separate the real ones as something apart. Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring all bring them and they can be rain or snow or a bit of both. The blizzard of '78 was a real one. So are the storms hitting us in 2010 in February and March. They have met every standard. Eye-like formations. Winds from the North-east. Hurricane strength.

When I was a kid I did a lot of sailing. Naval JROTC high school. Had my own little boat. Raced it on the weekends at the local yacht club. When I was around thirteen my Pop signed me up for a summer sailing camp that raced dinghies and sloops. I remember the day I was crewing on Tommy's M-scow and a Nor'easter kicked up. Fast. Tommy said, "Fuck, that's a Nor'easter." And came about and headed for the dock. First time I heard the term. Never forgot it. Spent the rest of the afternoon watching a geyser hit the windowed porch of the Beachwood Yacht Club.

I learned then, that when the winds blow the rain and snow from the Northeast, pay no attention to what the weatherman calls the storm, just head for cover.

L. Lawless

No comments:

Post a Comment