Saturday, December 5, 2009

I once met a woman many years ago
She told me she was a tailor now
But used to be an engineer in Romania

She fought in the revolution against Ceausescu
When the walls fell and the light came
And by the hardness in her eyes I knew it was true

She still felt bad that they shot him Christmas Day
I told her Washington crossed the Delaware on the 25th
And not to feel guilty, but instead just pray

Dan Paris was pissed
When I said I was a communist
But it was just youthful idiocy
And he had old eyes from his childhood
But I never did it again
When he was around.

I once met an old boss from my past
A real sonunvabitch when he was prime
A big golfer too, now put out to grass

Now I work with another old guy, Eddie, his brother
And I wonder if Bill is the same and am I?
Or who has changed more than the other?

And many things seemed of great importance
and then not at all, being so much younger now
I am not as old as I was once.


© 2009
L. LAWLESS

No comments:

Post a Comment